Students in the Master of Arts in East Asian Studies program engage in the interdisciplinary study of China, Japan and/or Korea.
- Students can select courses from a broad range of offerings in area studies, political science, literature, history, art history, religion, cultural anthropology, sociology, music, and visual and media studies
- Students may enroll in up to one course per semester at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Students typically complete the program within two years (four semesters)
- Students complete a capstone research paper in the final year
- Prepare to enter a new profession in the diplomatic corps, law, education, journalism, consulting or business
- Enhance your current career path with advanced academic training
- Build a solid foundation for further study in social science or humanities doctoral programs
- Attain proficiency in a regional language
- Experience a unique exchange program in Tokyo, Japan, at Meiji University’s Graduate School of Political Science and Economics
To earn the MA, students must complete a total of 10 courses (30 semester hours). At least 8 must be courses on East Asia. One of the required courses is an integrated core course. Courses must be taken from at least two different departments with no more than four courses from one department. Students must complete a capstone project and pass an oral exam. Capstone projects are major research papers; capstone committees consist of three professors, including at least two (2) from the APSI core faculty list. Proficiency in an Asian language equivalent to 3rd-year collegiate-level (or higher) is also required.
Information about the application process, including requirements, deadlines and a link to the online application is on the Duke Graduate School's Admissions website.
Complete applications for the MA in East Asian Studies must include:
- Online application (via ApplyYourself)
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official university transcripts from all schools attended
- GRE scores
- TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable
- ***No writing sample necessary***