Every semester, APSI hosts a variety of academic and social events including conferences, films, and speaker series. Visit our upcoming events calendar and click on the links below for additional details. Information about past events can be found in News.
The Asia-Pacific Forum is an interdisciplinary colloquium series for graduate students at Duke. Held monthly during the academic year, the Forum provides masters and doctoral students with the opportunity to share their research with peers and faculty. The Forum also provides a venue for students to hear presentations from visiting scholars and faculty experts.
Conferences sponsored by APSI, often in collaboration with other Duke programs and/or area universities, enable participants to delve deeply into important topics and themes that impact our present understanding and future actions.
- February 14-15, 2020: New Perspectives on Nursing History: Women & Care in East Asia
- December 6-7, 2019: Getting China Right: China in the World
- October 11-12, 2019: The Philip Kapleau Papers: Zen Buddhism in Post-World War II Japan and the United States
- December 1-2, 2018: The Radicalism of Possibility: In Remembrance of Arif Dirlik
- February 8-9, 2018: The Logic of Sanctuary: Religious Movements in Non-Sovereign Spaces
- November 10-11, 2017: Meiji Japan in Global History
- January 22-23, 2017: Environmental Humanities for Sustainable Citizenship in Asia
- November 12, 2016: Theorizing Colonial Cinemas
- November 3, 2016: Religion and Nationalism in Asia
- October 28-29, 2016: Cultural Revolution in Asia and Beyond
APSI sponsors the CINE-EAST film series each semester. The series is supported by Duke Screen/Society, and co-sponsored by the Program in the Arts of the Moving Image and the Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies.
APSI's speaker series highlights cutting-edge research about East and Southeast Asia. Experts from around the world present their work on a variety of important subjects and engage with audience members in intellectual exchange and dialogue.
Download a .pdf of the Fall 2019 semester's schedule.
Download a .pdf of the Spring 2019 semester's schedule.
Download a copy of the Fall 2018 semester's schedule.
Download a copy of the Spring 2018 semester's schedule.
Download a copy of the Fall 2017 semester's schedule.
Download a copy of the Spring 2017 semester's schedule.
Download a copy of the Fall 2016 semester's schedule.