Faculty can apply to receive support for research clusters, course development grants, research grants, conference grants and travel grants.
APSI annually provides up to $3,000 in funding for research clusters that promote interdisciplinary and cross-cultural inquiry and collaboration among East and Southeast Asian studies faculty and students at Duke University and other Triangle area universities.
Each proposal requires three signers, at least two of whom must be APSI core faculty members. A faculty member may co-sign up to 2 proposals.
A report of the cluster’s activities, including a budget summary, is due from the recipient faculty by the end of the academic year.
Research clusters supported by APSI for the 16-17 academic year are:
- Chinese Environmentalism and the Global Anthropocene Research Cluster
- East Asian Language Pedagogy Research Cluster
- East Asian Religions Research Cluster
- Triangle Japan Forum
- Triangle Korea Forum
Annual course development grants of up to $3,000 are usually due in October. Eligibility criteria:
- The course must be taught at least twice in the next five (5) years
- The course must have at least 25% East or Southeast Asian content
- Priority is given to APSI core faculty, though other faculty members are invited to apply.
Grants of up to $3,000 are given to support research beginning in the summer and concluding by June 30 of the following year. Calls for proposals are typically sent out in the spring. Priority will be given to:
- Junior faculty or those with low/no alternate funding sources
- Faculty needing to travel to conduct East or Southeast Asia research
- Faculty who have not recently received APSI funding
- Faculty who have done conspicuous service for APS
Conference Hosting Grants
APSI provides seed funding of up to $6,000 each year for a conference. Applications are typically due in October. Each proposal should include:
- A 3-page description including the rationale for the conference
- List of potential participants
- Plans, if any, for publishing the proceedings
- Budget estimate
Presentation Travel Grants
Faculty needing assistance to cover travel expenses for presenting on East or Southeast Asian topics at conferences and professional meetings may apply for up to $700 from APSI.
Priority is given to APSI core faculty, faculty who have not recently received travel support from APSI, and junior faculty members