Duke in Seoul
Duke in Seoul is a brand new (in Summer 2022) 4-week summer immersion program that focuses on culture and Asian Studies. The program will be led by Professor Esther Kim Lee, the Director of Duke's Asian American and Diaspora Studies (AADS) program.
The program surveys the various ways in which South Korea has emerged as a leading nation in the creation of global culture since the late twentieth century. Participants will seek to:
- To understand key issues in contemporary Korean culture
- To understand major concepts related to global culture and soft power
- To understand how performance is central to the formation and expression of nationhood
- To collaborate with other students and effectively communicate findings to the class
- To conduct research in Korea and apply the findings to the creation of a final project
- To become more aware of intercultural encounters as a global citizen
To learn more and apply, please see the program's page on the Duke Global Education Office website.