Every semester, APSI hosts a variety of academic and social events including conferences, films, and speaker series. Visit our upcoming events calendar and click on the links below for additional details. Information about past events can be found in News as well as the Past Events search tool.
The Asia-Pacific Forum is an interdisciplinary colloquium series for graduate students at Duke. Held monthly during the academic year, the Forum provides masters and doctoral students with the opportunity to share their research with peers and faculty. The Forum also provides a venue for students to hear presentations from visiting scholars and faculty experts.
Conferences sponsored by APSI, often in collaboration with other Duke programs and/or area universities, enable participants to delve deeply into important topics and themes that impact our present understanding and future actions.
Bookmark this page for additional information about upcoming conferences and links to other events.
- April 28-30, 2023: Histories and Society in the Hydrosphere
- October 27-29, 2022: Christianity, Modernity, and Ethnicity in the China-Southeast Asia Borderlands
- February 14-15, 2020: New Perspectives on Nursing History: Women & Care in East Asia
- December 6-7, 2019: Getting China Right: China in the World
- October 11-12, 2019: The Philip Kapleau Papers: Zen Buddhism in Post-World War II Japan and the United States
- December 1-2, 2018: The Radicalism of Possibility: In Remembrance of Arif Dirlik
- February 8-9, 2018: The Logic of Sanctuary: Religious Movements in Non-Sovereign Spaces
- November 10-11, 2017: Meiji Japan in Global History
- January 22-23, 2017: Environmental Humanities for Sustainable Citizenship in Asia
- November 12, 2016: Theorizing Colonial Cinemas
- November 3, 2016: Religion and Nationalism in Asia
- October 28-29, 2016: Cultural Revolution in Asia and Beyond
APSI sponsors public screenings of films from or about Asia each semester. These are often supported by Duke Screen/Society, and co-sponsored by the Program in the Arts of the Moving Image.
Download a film series flyer for Fall 2018
Download a flyer of films shown in Fall 2017
Download a flyer of films shown in Spring 2017
Download a flyer of films shown in Fall 2016
APSI's speaker series highlights cutting-edge research about East and Southeast Asia. Experts from around the world present their work on a variety of important subjects and engage with audience members in intellectual exchange and dialogue.
Download the Fall 2022 semester's speaker series schedule
Download the Fall 2019 semester's schedule
Download the Spring 2019 semester's schedule
Download the Fall 2018 semester's schedule
Download the Spring 2018 semester's schedule
Download the Fall 2017 semester's schedule
Download the Spring 2017 semester's schedule
Download the Fall 2016 semester's schedule